Wednesday, January 07, 2015

BOOKS: MARABOU STORK NIGHTMARES


I used to be voracious reader, like in high school I was the kid never paying attention because I would be reading a book hidden beneath my desk. Once university came around, reading for pleasure fell by the way side and minus a few bursts of binge reading I have never really been able to make a habit of it again. Well 2015 is going to be the year I change that and I started off with an interesting choice as my first book finished of the year: Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh.

This book was so out of my usual comfort zone for books which I think is what I needed. Generally I read trashy crime novels, YA fiction with several other miscellaneous genres in which the plot generally revolves around people who feel lost and disconnected from the world...I'm very predictable. Marabou Stork Nightmares still focused on an oddball character Roy Strang but the story is mostly told through his subconscious and just in general a very different style than I am used to. I am not sure how much I enjoyed the book for the book itself but I really enjoyed the fact that I had no idea what was going to happen and I liked the unreliable narrator point of view. This book was brutal and difficult to read at points (the Edinburgh Scottish accent) but I do recommend it, and I will definitely be reading it again at some point when I get my own copy.

Would recommend? Yes, but not for the faint of heart.
** Instead of ranking by stars which I think is super arbitrary I will just say if I recommend a book or not.

2 comments:

  1. I've read this too. I loved it, but it isn't for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not but I would encourage most people to give it a go!

      Delete